The shophouses along this street were built by Ong Ewe Hai (王友海) in 1886. He was one of Sarawak’s Hokkien pioneers and also the first president of the Hokkien Kongsi (福建公司). He was also appointed the first Chinese Kapitan (community leader) of Sarawak. Ong Ewe Hai came to Sarawak from Singapore in 1864 and in the beginning, he was just a boat trader (水客) of goods. As time progressed he ventured into local products trade and also import and export trade. In 1884, he managed to obtain the licence for the government’s Farm Tax System and from there acquired a lot of wealth. The descendants of Ong family include Ong Tiang Swee 王长水, Ong Kwan Hin 王观兴, Ong Kee Hui 王其辉 and Ong Tiang Swee’s son-in-law, Wee Kheng Chiang黄庆昌 who were all influential leaders in politics and trades.